April 5, 2012 – A decree issued by Austria’s agricultural and environmental ministry has declared that, as of March 28 2012, certain region-typical quality wines from the Burgenlandstarting with the vintage 2011 can be released on the market under the appellation Neusiedlersee DAC. While the Neusiedlersee DAC is now the eighth Austrian appellation withDAC status, it is also the first DAC to focus on the dominant domestic red grape variety, Blauer Zweigelt. “Through the new Neusiedlersee DAC, fruity and harmonious red wines marked by local climate and soil characteristics should be emphasised and their level of awareness raised,” says Andreas Liegenfeld, head of the Regional Wine Committee in Burgenland.

The DAC Family in Burgenland

Neusiedlersee, Copyright AWMB / Anna Stöcher
Neusiedlersee, © AWMB / Anna Stöcher

With the introduction of Neusiedlersee DAC, the family of DACs inBurgenland is now complete: The new appellation joins fellow Burgenland members Mittelburgenland DAC, Leithaberg DAC and Eisenberg DAC. Neusiedlersee DAC focuses on Austria´s best known red grape variety, Zweigelt, which also is the most widely planted grape in Burgenland – in 1,812 of its vineyard hectares. Like all of the other DACs, Neusiedlersee DAC is subject to the general requirements and regulations for Austrian Qualitätswein (quality wine) and will comprise two levels:

Neusiedlersee DAC

This category stands for a variety-typical, fruityspicy and harmonious Zweigelt, which can be matured either in wooden barrels or in steel tanks. The alcohol content must be a minimum of 12 % by volume and declared on the bottle label. These wines can be released as of March 1st of the year following the harvest.

Neusiedlersee DAC Reserve

Neusiedlersee DAC can be brought to the market also with the additional designation of “Reserve”. The wine can be either a pure Zweigelt or a Zweigelt-dominated cuvée (blend). In the cuvée, the Zweigelt portion must be of at least 60%, with the remaining 40% comprised of autochthone varieties.    The wine must have been matured in traditional big wooden casks or in barriques, and the alcohol content must be a minimum of 13 % by volume and declared on the bottle label. NeusiedlerseeDAC Reserve wines can be released as of March 1st of the second year following the harvest.

DAC in Austria

Since the creation of branch organisations as well as the legal anchoring of the designation “DAC”, Austria has followed a new way of wine marketing. With the introduction of DAC (Districtus Austriae Controllatus) wines, designations of origin stand for clear taste profiles as well as help to ease future buying decisions for consumers.

Since the 2003 vintage, a number of Austrian wines bear a specific indication of origin with the DAC designation. The new Neusiedlersee DAC is now the eighth wine-growing area – following the Weinviertel, Mittelburgenland, Traisental, Kremstal, Kamptal, Leithaberg and Eisenberg – to implement the DAC system.

The three letters, DAC, indicate that in the bottle is a wine whose origin is clearly defined. Much more important than the three letters is the name of the region. This name should be associated with the taste of the wine. However, wines with the same indication of origin do not taste exactly the same because they are made by different producers. The connecting factor is a wine style that is typical for the particular region. DAC wines, like all Qualitätswein, must undergo a strict testing procedure and in addition also have to pass an official tasting to prove that they reflect the regional typicity in the wine.

Press information

Austrian Wine Marketing Board

Susanne Staggl
T: +43 1 503 92 67
F: +43 1 503 92 68
E: info@austrianwine.com