Much of the USA has been experiencing extremely low temperatures in addition to snow and so we declare it’s time for Glühwein!
Glühwein is an old tradition in Austria that begins with a delicious, easy-drinking wine such as an entry-level Zweigelt and adds spice and warmth for this wintry treat.
This simple recipe from our friends at the Austrian National Tourist Office will help you stay warm and happy while riding out the winter.
- 2 bottles of good quality red wine (as we said, we recommend Zweigelt!)
- 2 cups of water
- juice of 2 lemons
- 5 oz sugar
- 6 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oranges – cut into bite size pieces
- oranges for decoration
- Put all ingredients in a pot and bring it close to boil
- For additional taste cut 2 oranges in to bite size pieces and add to the wine
- Let simmer
- Remove clove, cinnamon stick before serving it into lightly pre-warmed glasses
- Decorate glasses with a slice of orange
Best of all, it’s a relatively low-mess recipe as you just need one pot to make the entire thing! Serve on its own or alongside cookies for an added treat.